There are many reasons to choose Ostrich meat over other red meat, and even poultry. With more consumers adopting healthier lifestyles than ever before, Ostrich meat is the new super food that every hospitality establishment and home should have on their menu.
Ostrich meat is lower in kilojoules, saturated fats and cholesterol than skinless chicken, turkey and other red meats. It is easily digestible and is the perfect choice for a calorie-controlled diet. Ostrich naturally holds an ideal pH balance, ensuring that it won’t attract harmful bacteria like E.coli or salmonella.
This, combined with its high protein and iron content, makes it extremely beneficial for astute consumers who value the nutrients their food has to offer – but don’t want to skimp on flavour or satisfaction.
In the Kitchen
The versatility of Ostrich meat makes it the ideal choice for chefs and home cooks. Whether preparing delicious and nutritious lunches and dinners, or frying some mince for a breakfast omelette, the cook can rest in the knowledge that Ostrich offers excellent flavour.
On the Pocket
Although comparable to red meat or veal in its texture, our Ostrich is competitively priced, meaning you won’t have to sacrifice nourishment or taste, even on a tight budget.
The characteristics of Ostrich meat include the following:
- Naturally low in fat (± 1.4 g per 100 g meat),
- High in protein (± 22 g per 100 g meat),
- Less cholesterol than other meat (± 60 mg per 100g meat),
- Low in collagen (making it more readily digestible),
- A good source of biologically available iron (± 4 mg per 125 g serving of meat),
- Kilojoules (from as low as 377 kJ per 100g meat, depending on the cut).